AI4Society is committed to supporting collaborative research activities within the University of Alberta that involve interdisciplinary research teams across campus.
For the purposes of AI4Society a Collaboratory has the following features:
- It is a collaboration of at least 4 researchers
- It is interdisciplinary with faculty in at least 2 faculties and at least 3 departments
- It is pursuing research at the intersection of artificial intelligence, big data, ethics, and social impact
What type of support is available for Collaboratories?
- Support towards developing a website
- Administrative support to organize events and workshops
- Communications support
- Events will be included in our calendar
- News will be included in our newsletter
- We can provide contacts for communicating your research
- Grant writing funding (AI4S can support a short application for grant writing funds)
- General funding (AI4S can support other applications)
- Advancement support (We can promote projects to Advancement)
- Student support (AI4S is looking for ways to get students involved)
Interested in starting a Collaboratory?
Talk to us. Submit your proposal!
We encourage you to talk to the Director, Eleni Stroulia, or Associate Director, Geoffrey Rockwell, while developing your collaboratory. Once ready, send us (ai4S@ualberta.ca) your proposal, which should provide the following information:
- Title of the Collaboratory
- Goals and Research Area
- Fit with AI4S and why your Collaboratory is important
- Description of activity up to now if you have been already collaborating
- Future plans, especially those relevant to AI4S
- Grant applications planned
- What support do you need?
- What steps are you planning to take to foster equity, diversity, and inclusivity in your project?
- Timeline of activities you propose
- Collaboratory lead and team members (with one paragraph brief bios)
- Units involved, what Departments/Faculties
- Funding already available or opportunities AI4S should know about
Last updated: September 22